Saturday, November 17, 2007

Midnight & Magnets

I'll explain the title of this post:

Midnight (give or take an hour) is when Tegan has been waking up at night. As I've shared before, Tegan wakes up crying in the middle of the night sometimes, almost every night over the past week or 2, and it's all I can do to get him back down, at least it seems that way. For most of this past week I've been trying the Ferber method of waiting 5 minutes after the crying begins and then going in, patting T on the head, giving him his paci (if needed) and then going back to my bed. Then, after another 10 minutes I repeat the above... then wait 15 min and so on. Well, that seemed to work this past week. I usually only had to go in 2-3 times and after the 3rd time T would give up and go back to sleep on his own and then sleep until nearly 7am (which is a major improvement from the 5:30am wake-up which was becoming the norm when we brought him into our room to sleep when he'd wake-up crying).

Just a cute picture, has nothing to do with this story :)

Well, last night T woke up around 11p.m. and then proceeded to cry off and on until about 2a.m. Every now and then he'd stop long enough for me to allow myself to fall back asleep and then I'd awaken again maybe 20 or 30 min later to his crying. A few times I found that the crying was "because" his paci had somehow exited the crib (whether it fell or he threw it out I'm still trying to figure our). I gave-up at 2 a.m. and finally took him out of the crib to realized that he had a very wet diaper, he hadn't peed through it, but it was indeed very wet. So, I changed that and then brought him into bed with us. What did he then try to do for the next 20 minutes??? OH, that would be PLAY! Yes, he came into bed and then decided that it was time to pull my hair, roll back and forth between Brendan and myself, stick his fingers in every possible hole on my head, sit up, crawl, you name it. Being a light sleeper, there's no way I could have slept through that unless I was under anesthesia, but Mr. Won't-Wake-Up-For-Anything, a.k.a. Brendan, wake up and quickly returned T to his crib. All I know is that once Brendan took "control" I fell back to sleep. From there, I just know that Tegan was crying again at 7:24, so that's when I got up for the day. (WOW, that was a long story, sorry!)


So, any suggestions on what you think might be waking Tegan or what we can do to prevent last night from happening again are more than welcomed! We thought that maybe T's cold, so we put him in a long-sleeved onsie and socks under his fleece footed pj tonight, so we'll see if that helps. Our other thought is that maybe, somehow, he's hungry. He is down to only 3 bottles per day and 2 of them are now formula as my supply is very rapidly disappearing. We usually do the formula at his am and bedtime bottles and the breast milk at his 3pm bottle, so I would think that the formula thing probably isn't it as formula takes longer to digest. Who knows!Magnets:Brendan introduced T to the large magnets on our fridge last night. Tegan quickly found a favorite and won't give any of the others the time of day. It's very cute. The neat thing is that the magnet he chose is one that you can pop out the back and insert a photograph, so I put a pic of my parents in it. :) After doing that this morning (putting in the picture) I gave the magnet back to Tegan and he immediately smiled and said "Guh, Guh" which he's been saying when I mention or he sees a pic of his grandparents. I think it's sweet. Ok, sorry, but my fingers are tired and this post has gotten longer than I expected.
Love to all!!!
~j

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi, I am not sure if I have commented before, but I read you blog all the time. I stumbled upon it after clicking on my profile of "anything by Nicholas Sparks" and got hooked reading it. I was wondering if he has all of his teeth? Even if you can't feel them, he might be working on some teeth and when he goes to bed at night, there aren't any distractions and he realizes it hurts. What about some Motrin before bed?

Room 307 said...

Geez Jenn, i'm sorry!! = ( I don't know, all I can think of is the teeth thing too. Good luck!!

Ben Dodds said...

I bet that Guh Guh and Guh Guh love being recognized on the magnet. How fun! You guys are so in for a ride...what a fun little guy!

Peace,
BD

Shannon said...

I agree with the above comment about teething... I'm no pro, but when I first read this I thought DRUGS... I would try tylenol or motrin right before bed (infant motrin lasts 8 hours, tylenol 4). I think it's at least worth a try... The poor little guy!

Good Luck,
Shan