Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Latest News...

I want to begin by thanking you all, again, for all of the support, grace, love and prayers. Life is getting... well, I don't think easier or better are appropriate words, but maybe the phrase more manageable is right. I still cry daily but that's all part of the healing process.
Included in this post are a few more of my favorite photos that we got of Ty... I look at them all daily and cry, but that's good I think. Just wanted to share them with you all.
We have now gotten all of the lab reports back regarding what could have possibly gone wrong that could be detected through my blood, the placenta or the umbilical cord. As I feared, all of the tests came back "normal" or with "normal ranges." SO... Ty's death was not due to: anything I ate or inhaled (bacteria or viruses), a clotting disorder that could caused a clot in the placenta (which is good news for future pregnancies), chromosomal abnormalities that Ty could have had, any sort of trauma to the placenta (such as tearing away from the uterine wall or damage to the organ itself), and the umbilical cord had no knots in it and there didn't seem to have any trauma to it, either(which we already knew and also that it had not been wrapped around Ty's neck).
The one test that came back "normal" but on the lower end of "normal" was a test involving my thyroid. Apparently one of the levels of hormone or chemical produced by my thyroid were low, indicating that I could possibly be hyperthyroid, but pregnancy can also skew these results since the baby's thyroid doesn't begin working to it's full potential until after birth, so it pulls from the mother's thyroid. SO, I'll be getting a full thyroid work-up done at 6 weeks post delivery. Based on the research I've done so far, though, the only time there can be risk to the fetus due to the thyroid is when the mother is HYPOthyroid as opposed to HYPERthyroid. Like I said, the baby causes a higher demand on the thyroid (like it does on the pancreas and the increased need for insulin during pregnancy), so when the thyroid isn't working to it's potential is when there seems to be a higher risk for problems and stillbirth.

So... what does this all mean? Well, as I feared, we will probably never know what happened physically to cause Ty to pass. For me this is SO hard because in a way it makes me feel like it HAD to have been something that I did... something like unknowingly sleep on my back and cause limited blood flow to Ty that caused fatal damage to his body (such as decreased oxygen flow to the brain and organs). I worried that it was from Tegan climbing all over me, but all indications are that it was NOT from any physical trauma, so that eases my mind.
Still, it has been outrageously hard for me to not blame myself for not noticing Ty's lack of movement earlier in the day... I keep telling myself that I need to just accept the fact that whatever happened was out of my control and that there's nothing I could have done... that this is all part of God's plan and I need to accept this and be at peace with the fact that my little baby is safe in the arms of his Lord and Savior for the rest of eternity, but to be honest I am beyond jealous of my gracious God. In one respect I know that jealousy is wrong and I should be thankful for all of the blessings I have been given, but I also know in my heart that if I wasn't feeling this jealousy something would be wrong. I am a mother and it's perfectly normal for me to be jealous and to want to have my baby here in my arms.
I just ask that you keep praying for Brendan, Tegan and I. That you pray for peace in my heart and mind; that I allow myself to accept the reality and allow myself to continue to grow from this, to become a better and stronger person from this experience. Thank you so very much, again, for all of the support you have all provided us! Take care, God bless...
All for now...
~j

6 comments:

Wolfe Family said...

Still praying, Jenn. And I don't plan on letting up any time soon.

Elyse said...

Jenn-you are in my prayers. Ty has a great support system around him. This was NOT your fault. Hang in there!!!
~Elyse~

Mindy said...

Thinking of you many times each and every day. My heart continues to hurt for you and Brendan and your horrific loss. While I cannot begin to fathom your pain, I can understand your need for answers. I pray you find peace with what has happened and that your heartbreak feels a little less painful with each passing day.
Love,
Mindy

Laura said...

We are still praying for you. Thank you for sharing all your thoughts and feelings; it is absolutely normal and healthy the way that you are reacting. Praying that the Great Comforter will ease your pain and sorrow during such a difficult time. Sending love from Texas!

Heather said...

Jenn, thank you for your sweet words on my blog. The pictures you have of your angel are beautiful. We were not so blessed and its one of the things I am struggeling with. Your faith is encouraging. Unfortunately I was/am not as strong in mine so I have spent a lot of time angry with God. This week I've gotten better about that and am trying to find comfort in knowing that God knows more than me and that he was saving the four of us from an even greater tragedy...if there is one. I'll be following your blog from now on. Reading blogs of woman in similar shoes helps me to see that I am normal, and that I will come out of this alive. Thank you for contacting me, and for sharing your beautiful pictures, your story and your heartache with us. I will pray for you and your family as well. Contact me if you ever need a friend in similar shoes. I go in tomorrow for my first post-delivery check...I'm hoping for some test results...and scared to death.

~Heather http://mystolenlight.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Jenn, your mother left me a very nice comment on my blog and I wanted to thank her. Since there is no way to contact an annonymous commenter could you pass my thanks along to her? She was very kind to me and I appreciated her words and offer of a meal! :) I hope that you are finding moments of peace this week. I've thought a lot about you since your comment. It's odd to have someone go through the same thing as you, 3 days later...it helps me to feel less isolated. I'm here if you need someone to relate with who is in the same shoes as you are at the same time. I will continue to think about you. ~Heather