Monday, March 16, 2009

Paci Update & More


Well... we are now 3 full days paci free and tonight was the 4th night of going to bed paci-free. I wish the above picture was how Tegan felt about it all but it's not... just a cute pic of what T does when you ask him to smile [for the camera].

Brendan ended up cutting the sides of it and according to Tegan (when he tried the 2 in his room, the only 2 that he's aware of in the house) they are now "broken". Needless to say, getting him to go down let alone stay in bed has been a challenge. Saturday and Sunday each brought an approximate 2 hour battle at nap-time... thankfully bedtime hasn't been as difficult as that, but it's still been tougher than before we took the "bai" away.
The paci was really what quieted T down and got him in "sleep mode" at bedtime and calm him and get him back to sleep if/when he woke up in the middle of the night, so he's now learning, for the first time in his life, how to truly self soothe. Last night was exceptionally tough, not at bedtime but 1/2 way through the night. I awoke to screaming (and I mean SCREAMING) at 12:31 (according to my clock). I still don't know if Tegan was even fully awake during all this or not, but he sure was upset. It seemed to be too late to be a night terror, because they (whoever "they" are) say that those usually occur about an hour or so after the child falls asleep. Anyway, he was VERY upset and it seemed like NOTHING was going to help him calm down and relax. He didn't want his blankie, me, Daddy, our bed... nothing. I finally scooped him up and brought him upstairs, against his will. Once we arrived in "Daddy's bed" T wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. I couldn't even touch him. Ha! I don't know what did it, but he was finally quiet again around 1:30 or so. I can tell you with no hesitation that Brendan and I were exhausted this morning from that escapade. You just get so worn out trying to figure out what's wrong and getting the crying to stop.

Now I'm trying to think of what else I can update you on about Tegan. He apparently likes showers now... he used to hate them because the water would get in his face. Well, I invited him to shower with me after my run yesterday and he was very excited. He quickly stripped down to nothin' and began to get into the shower... until he remembered he wanted to bring a cup (small Rubbermaid cup) with him. So, he stood and squatted and squeegeed and all that in front of me while I washed up and when I was done and turned off the water he informed me "water on, Mommy!" It was TOO cute. Well, I didn't turn the water back on for him, but I did let him play until I was dry and dressed. He was just TRULY having a ball! He was playing with his "little cup" IN the water AND was in his birthday suit... of course I got the camera out. HA! Gotta have something to show the girlfriends in 15 years, right? :)Hm... what else? I dunno... I'm tired, I know that. So I'll stop there. Next time will bring, OH, I know - a story about IKEA and another about Captain Tegan. Until then, I'll leave you with some words of wisdom from Tegan (he told me this as I strapped him into his carseat tonight after our Parents & Me music class tonight): "No go poop in bathtub. That's gross!"
Love to all!
~j

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Tegan makes me laugh so hard. Does he have a favorite stuffed animal that he could sleep with? Hope you all get get more sleep tonight!
~Elyse~

Stephanie Luk said...

I love that kid so much. He's so darn cute!