Tuesday, October 27, 2009

H1N1 Hits Home: Updated

Brendan took Tegan into the peds office today. The kid slept until 9:30 this morning and when he did wake up his eyes were all crusty - again. Didn't we just deal with pink eye 2 weeks ago?! Maybe it was 3 - regardless, recently. Well, since he's been running a fever and had a cough they wanted to see him to rule out an ear infection. The ear infection was ruled out, but this was then added "he probably has a mild case of H1N1". The doc explained that right now everyone they see who is sick is exhibiting the H1N1 symptoms and he (the doc) also speculated that when Brendan was sick a few weeks ago with aches and nasty cough/sore throat he probably had H1N1 as well.

I called my midwife's office and explained the situation and they want me to start taking Tamiflu for 10 days as a preventative measure as there are such great risks to the babies/fetuses of pregnant women that it's much safer to just take the Tamiflu. In one respect I'm hesitant given our history (stillbirth) and the fact that there hasn't been an official diagnosis of Tegan or Brendan of actually having H1N1... but the last thing I want to do is follow in the footsteps of my husband and son and get sick and risk getting Casey sick and the horrible results that could have. I just keep going back and forth on what I should do, especially since I have had exposure to H1N1 at school (just not as direct as the exposure I have had at home if T or Brendan really do/did have H1N1). I ask that you pray that I am able to decide what is best for me and Casey and that whatever decision I make truly is the one that is best for us both. Thank you!
Love to all!
~j

No comments: